Rochester, New York
Not resolved
1 comment

Update by user Apr 11, 2012

Since posting this here and on other sites, twitter, and personally emailing a number of people including the Wells Fargo people I dealt with I have had no response. In fact I even had a customer satisfaction survey from Wells Fargo in which I completed and included a print out of this letter.

I have heard nothing from them. So obviously customer satisfaction is not a priority for Wells Fargo.

Take your business elsewhere is my suggestion. As consumers we have choices!!!

Original review posted by user Mar 11, 2012

I received a letter from Wells Fargo Home Mortgage in October 2011 that I should consider refinancing my current home loan to remove the PMI on my current mortgage as I had reached 72% LTV. I started the process in early November 2011 and was assigned:

Deb Goetz

Home Mortgage Consultant

NMLSR ID # 404477

Wells Fargo Home Mortgage

MAC B6919-050

21 3rd Street N

Great Falls, Montana 59401

406.454.5404 Tel

406.899.1197 Cell

877.535.2183 Fax

The initial quote that I received on November 17th was very high with fees and already she was apologizing for taking almost 2 weeks to get me this quote: "I apologize this took so long. We converted to a new system over the weekend and it is a mess. I'm backed up with applications from the system problems but it is leveling out today."

So I started to look for other lenders and found TD Bank to offer much lower fees and lower interest rate. Having been a customer of Wells Fargo since 2000 when they bought out Norwest Mortgage my original Lender I got the mortgage from in 1998 I thought they would want to retain me. I went back to Deb and shared what I had found. She responded with this on November 23rd:


I just met with my manager and we can lock today at the 4.125%. Your closing costs are approx $4833 plus a state tax stamp of $895.00. The Title company will work on seeing if this can be reduced.

I will send you a copy of their fees in a few minutes.

Please let me know what you decide. I'm headed to a closing in 30 minutes and will be back on Friday but am concerned what the rates might do.


Deb Goetz


I decided to give them the go since they got closer to what TD offered and proceed and I also have in writing from them that they will pay half of the $895 underwriting fee that Wells charges on loans. They now have responded with this on November 25th:

I was able to lock the rate at 4.125% but we were unable to pay the 1/2 of the Underwriting Fee because the branch manager is paying $453.75 to buy the rate to 4.125%. I will do everything I can to get the State Tax Stamp reduced for you which will hopefully offset this and save you where we can on the other fees.

I locked the loan for 90 days and you would hopefully close the middle of January if not sooner.


As you can see they are now backing out of the agreed to half underwriting fees. So after signing some initial documents on November 28th the process started. I didn't hear anything for weeks. I would have to constantly chase for information. Finally January 13, 2012 they requested a check for $200 to cover the subordination as I had a Home Equity Line of Credit with a different lender. I submitted that to them and again continue to have to chase and ask when we are closing. I'm now working with a loan specialist that only works on my loan on Wednesdays. So wont answer questions or do work outside that time. On 1/15/12 she says to be:

I believe all I am waiting on is the Subordination which I also believe Deb sent for and we are all waiting on it.

As soon as this comes in I will continue processing and move this to close

Thanks for your help.

Carol Basel

Loan Documentation Specialist

Processing Department

National HARP Division (Home Affordability Refinance Program)

Wells Fargo Home Mortgage l 801 Walnut St. l Des Moines, IA 50309

MAC N0005-070

Phone 515.326.6999 / Fax 866/617-3318


I kept asking questions about the loan, what my payments would look like, etc...and they kept giving incomplete answers. I would often even get emails from Deb that were intended to only be seen by Carol. Here is a few examples:

From: []

Sent: Monday, January 30, 2012 4:54 PM

To: craig.prosser

Subject: RE: Wells Fargo- Prosser


I would not answer this and tell your manager.

Deb Goetz

Home Mortgage Consultant


From: Craig Prosser [mailto:craig.prosser]

Sent: Monday, January 30, 2012 2:48 PM

To: Basel, Carol

Cc: Goetz, Deborah L.

Subject: Re: Wells Fargo- Prosser

That's exactly what was said last Wednesday and I question what if anything was done last week?



Sent from my iPhone

On Jan 30, 2012, at 4:44 PM, "" wrote:

This is a loan to be worked on this Wednesday according to my workload schedule.

I will have an answer for both of you on Wednesday morning.

Thank you.

Carol Basel


So basically this went on for weeks more, and asked for both of their managers names so I could contact and escalate. I was informed the managers were fully aware of the loan situation and no need to contact. The next issue is they wanted me to sign a commitment letter from November that was so far off from accurate loan details to submit to the subordinate for processing. I refused and asked for an updated commitment letter. It wasn't until 2/7/12 that I finally got the updated commitment letter to sign and remember my lock rate on the interest rate expires 2/21/12 but they claim they now have the lock rate protected past this date as they know they wont get me to close by then.

I continued to see internal emails between them with rude statements:

-----Original Message-----

From: Basel, Carol

Sent: Wednesday, February 08, 2012 10:26 AM

To: Goetz, Deborah L.

Subject: RE: Prosser Commitment Letter

Got it after I left. Sorry couldn't send it sooner this morning. Had my manager sitting doing a side by side...I was a nervous wreck, but I think it went ok.

As soon as the sub comes in let's get this one out of here! :)


Finally on 3/1 they have received the subordinate and can finish my loan. However then on 3/5/12 Underwriter is requesting I send a subordinate account statement with balance and payment. This I did within an hour of receiving the email. Everything they asked of me was always done same day. So in now way could I be looked at as the delay.

They tried to setup a closing on Monday March 5th at a local paralegal firm near me which was *** as they don't have the final HUD approved. We then setup for Wednesday 3/7 to close. However more delays and I get an email from that local company saying:


I just received an email from Deborah at Wells, she was admitted into the hospital on Monday and has asked that I schedule you for Friday afternoon...will 2:30 work for you?

Wendy Didas, Paralegal

Crossroads Abstract


We agreed to a Friday March 9th close!! I was emailed previous mortgage payoff and final HUD on Wednesday March 7th late in the evening.

So finally after 130 days (4.5 months), I finally closed on my mortgage refinance. Did I mention this is again just a refinance with the SAME mortgage company as my existing mortgage!!!

I would like to receive some level of compensation for this terrible process, my countless hours of chasing them down, tracking details and the way I was treated. At the very least they should have honored what I have in writing where they agreed to pay HALF of the $895 underwriting fee which is added by them for doing what?!?!?

Product or Service Mentioned: Wells Fargo Refinance.

Do You Have Something To Say ?
Write a review


You will be automatically registered on our site. Username and password will be sent to you via email.
Post Comment

All I can say to anyone looking to refinance or execute a HARP2 refi is to stay clear of Wells Fargo. If you are a minority specifically Hispanic or Black you will be asked your ethnicity and immediately your rate will go up by .5 to 1 full point.

An excellent credit history or payment history will not matter. This is just the beginning with Wells Fargo. Next they will play the script of delays. They will claim they lost parts of your application.

They will mail you a new bundle of paperwork. Then they will accidentally cancel your application a month into the process and claim that it was an internal error. Now 30 day s into the process the script continues with a new loan application. Currently on day 45.

All my research on Wells Fargo Fraudulent practices will most likely stretch out the process to 130 days. My advise "Avoid Wells Fargo all together".