San Diego, California

I closed my account(s) with Wells Fargo over two years ago. Last year, I received a call from a collection agency trying to collect on $55 service charges from Wells Fargo. After further investigation, it turned out that the banker didn't close the accounts correctly and I had incurred $55 on my account. After a two-month ordeal, Wells Fargo credited my account and worked out the details with the collection agency.

A year later, I received another call from the collection agency with another $55 negative balance that I need to pay. Having gone through this before, I called the branch asking to speak with the manager. The teller (Lara ?) hung up on me. On my second attempt, she gave me the number for the overdraft department. So I called the overdraft department (Denis; extremly rude) who refused to even listen to me. He said that I need to talk to the branch manager because the charge is over $50. So I called Lara again. She said that her manager was at a meeting and that she was going to call me ASAP, if I left my number with her. I did.

No call. So I called the branch again and asked to speak with the manager. Megan (same manager as the one from last year) answered and said that there is nothing she can do to help. She said that I needed to pay the $55. I asked if she could check my account and she said no. Her excuse was that there is no history and I should contact the overdraft department.

Reluctantly, she looked up my SS# and said that it was my savings account that was not closed correctly. When I asked her what she was going to do to help me correct this, she said "nothing, I don't want to discuss this with you. I told you ... just pay the $55, there is nothing you can do." I asked her if there was another department that I could speak with. She said no ...it is just me and there is nothing you can do but pay the amount.

I cannot believe this. Should I set aside $55 every year to pay to Wells Fargo for one of the accounts that I closed several years ago. The problem is thatthere is not where to go. There is no one that can help. I should just pay whatever it is and shut up. There is no regualtion of any sort and firms like wells Fargo are given every opportunity to exploit customers in order to make money.

Can anyone help?

Product or Service Mentioned: Wells Fargo Account.

Comments

I wish that I could give you some great advice on how to handle this but I can't. Maybe you could hire an Attorney on a contingency fee basis.

I can't wait to be able to close my account with them but I can't until the check that they returned for NSF clears. The only reason why it was returned is because they continued to place a large check I deposited on hold.

hummm... well the only thing left to do is to hire a lawyer..

but then the lawyer will chage you more than what you owe..

but it would be awsome to sheake them up a little.. they are asholes....