Washington, District Of Columbia

I applied for a job as a virtual personal assistant for Ariba SAP through my undergrad's, Georgetown, career website I was contacted by Kate Becca on Saturday. She expressed interest in my resume and asked for additional information.

After responding her questions, she offered me the job and assigned me a task of doing some research and a write up as to "why would you prefer share of ownership in an existing business to owning your business" (probably information to convince people on another scam). The second task was to sign her up for the following conference: http://ehsforum.naem.org/registration.php. She then mailed me the check to sign her up. The option she wanted (consultant) was sold out, and when I informed her she contacted me the next day and told me that they had agreed to let her sign up as a member, so I should wire the money to the conference coordinator through Moneygram: a Matthew Brown in Cedar, MN 55011.

I called my bank to make sure the check had cleared and I that I was taking the money out from the check not my personal funds. They told me the check had cleared and the funds were available. The teller at the Wells Fargo branch also repeated the same when I was withdrawing the money. They should not have said this and warn me that the check could still bounce back in a couple of days.

This was a failure on their part and they are not assuming responsibility. I wouldve never taken out my own money and sent it to an unknown person. The bank had me believe that the check had cleared and those were the funds I was using. She also contacted me through the following phone number: 650 300 8858.

The envelop where the check came in had the following information:Daniel Briggs 50 Park Street Brooklyn NY 11236. The check was from Bank of America. BEWARE PEOPLE. Wells fargo has to make the funds available the next by federal law but that does not mean that the check will not bounce back at a later date (even months later).

I wish Wells Fargo would've just told me this. On top of that, they charged me a $12.95 fee for the fradulant check

Product or Service Mentioned: Wells Fargo Check Cashing.

Preferred solution: Let the company propose a solution.

Wells Fargo Cons: Service, Problems they cause their customers.

Comments

Thank you for saving me from another Scam from the UAE! Fake company called Hircon register on LinkedIn and Ladders.

I’m calling the administrators. To hopefully bust these people.

Thank you for your post so I didn't fall for this scam

I just had a similar issue , i was hired from my school internship website . I suspected fraud so I cancelled the transaction the person that contacted me was maria bates.

@Anonymous

Thanks so much for alerting the public! Needing a break in life, scammers can really seem to be a light at the end of the tunnel when things are bleak! Maria Bates almost got me, too!

I just applied for the same Virtual Personal Assistant job and got a couple of emails from said Ms. Becca.

It seems too good to be true, and I stumbled across your comment in googling "Kate Becca Sap Ariba"

So this job is a scam? Has your issue been resolved?