2.0

I have a Wells Fargo VISA Platinum Card. One of the benefits of that card is that if I pay my cell phone bill with it every month they will give me protection for my phone against loss or damage.

To me, that sounded great as it saved me from paying for protection through my cell provider. Recently I had an issue with the phone that caused the screen to crack. I took it to Apple who replaced the screen and charged me $169 plus $13.79 for sales tax for a total of $182.79. So, I filed a claim through Wells Fargo Card Benefits.

After 3 weeks I finally received a check for $144. I feel that was too long and I thought it was strange that I did not receive the entire amount. I was informed that even though Wells Fargo pays for this service, I have to also pay $25 to use it. Then, I guess they don't think that the sales tax was part of my loss as they did not cover that.

That seems strange as it is the only insurance claim I can remember in my life where the sales tax was not considered part of the loss.

I would certainly recommend anyone who thinks that Wells Fargo's cell phone protection program is a good substitute for insurance through your carrier to think about it again. I have contacted my carrier and now carry their insurance and will no longer use my Wells Fargo Visa card for that.

Comments

Sales tax is always part of an in-state transaction ; even if the goods are shipped from somewhere else if the seller has nexus in your state. You may find someone who will refund it, or not...the transaction occurred as far as the state is concerned and your ultimate disposition of the goods is of no concern to them.